Full time position | National search
As an integral member of Alford Group’s consulting team, the Client Service Associate (CSA) works across service lines to function as a primary analyst; contributor of actionable, data-driven recommendations; developer of engaging presentations; and key project manager on projects serving all segments of the social sector, including not-for-profits, foundations and impact-driven corporations. As such, the CSA is a valued member of every project team on which they serve.
Research, Analysis and Presentation
In many instances the CSA serves as the primary analyst of the primary and secondary research that forms the basis for much of the consultancy’s client work. Depending on the scope of the project, the CSA can be expected to perform some or all of the following functions:
- Apply a rigorous, analytical approach to client situations to identify solutions that are grounded in evidence and experience.
- Gather and code primary qualitative research data. Conduct thematic and quantitative analyses to draw conclusions from data gathered.
- Design, test and field constituent surveys. Analyze survey data. Design new ways to convey conclusions in creative visual ways and to supplement graphs, charts and tables.
- Review materials and reports provided by clients as relates to their fundraising function, strategic plans, governance, etc. and identify weaknesses or inconsistencies with best practices and/or organizational goals.
- Serve as a principal writer and proofreader of work product such as presentations, work plans, case statements, final reports and more.
- Design and author high-impact reports and presentations using crisp language and engaging data visualizations.
- Research trends, changes in best practices, products, tools, etc. to inform and improve clients’ work and/or consultancy methodologies and recommendations.
- Conduct prospect research on individuals, foundations, corporations and other funder types as appropriate.
Successful project management is critical to producing quality deliverables on time and on budget for our clients. Managing workflow to deadlines is part of every consultant role and especially important in the CSA role. In this capacity the CSA will:
- Work closely with project leads, project team members and other colleagues to design, plan, coordinate and contribute to the completion of high-quality client work.
- Maintain day-to-day workflow of project tasks and deliverables in accordance with timelines and competing priorities.
- Prompt action from clients and colleagues on tasks and deliverables to ensure timely completion.
- Proactively communicate progress, or lack thereof, against deadlines.
- Thoughtfully work with colleagues and clients to track deadlines, resolve issues and address competing demands.
- Prepare materials—such as agendas, Gantt charts, dashboards and status reports—to support internal team and client team members in advancing progress.
- Coordinate meeting preparation and logistics for internal and external appointments.
Business Development and Marketing
The CSA will support the consultancy’s business development and marketing activities of consulting staff. In this capacity the CSA may:
- Represent Alford Group at industry/social sector events and professional conferences and meetings.
- Research and draft content for white papers, blog posts, social media posts, etc. on topics relevant to the social sector.
- Create proposals and presentations for sales purposes.
- Join discovery and business development meetings to capture and interpret needs of potential clients.
- Maintain the consultancy’s CRM database and generate analysis and reports.
Characteristics of a successful CSA:
- Deadline-oriented, with the ability to anticipate client and team needs and mitigate potential roadblocks.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and active listening skills.
- High attention to detail and proven proofreading abilities.
- Ability to take initiative, simultaneously coordinate multiple projects and manage deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team and independently with minimal supervision at times.
- Ability to manage relationships with diverse people, including client staff and high-level volunteers.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Strong meeting coordination and participation, including virtual and hybrid meetings.
- Brings a creative eye to the development of engaging presentation of client work, including data visualizations, reports, slide decks, etc.
- Thoughtful of the relationship between style and substance of work product.
- Adapts quickly and can work simultaneously for numerous project leads.
- Open to and comfortable receiving and giving feedback.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree preferred in business, non-profit management, public policy, organizational development or other relevant field of study.
- At least four years of professional experience, with at least two years in the nonprofit sector, preferably with an emphasis on roles in frontline fundraising, communications/outreach and/or grant writing.
- High technical proficiency: MS Office Suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint required; InDesign, Adobe Suite or similar expertise is helpful.
- Knowledge of or readiness to learn donor management software, such as Raiser’s Edge and other customer relationship management, wealth screening and survey systems.
- Ability to work occasional early mornings, evenings and weekends as required by client and consultancy engagements.
- Some domestic travel may be required. A valid driver’s license is essential for local travel. The CSA must be able to travel independently, locally and nationally.
- Full COVID-19 vaccination required and all employees of Alford Group must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
About Alford Group
Alford Group is a national, full-service consultancy serving nonprofits in nearly every state in the country. Since our founding, we have partnered with over 3,000 nonprofits to accelerate their impact and advance social change.
Alford Group expects each employee and associate of the consultancy to reflect and promote our vision, mission and values.
Vision: A world where possibilities are endless and reflect the best of who we are as humans.
Mission: We accelerate the nonprofit community’s impact and advance social change.
- Honest Partnerships
- Equity-Centered Practices
- Continued Learning
- Joyful Connections
All employees are expected to assist in fulfilling our consultancy-wide goals and innovation objectives, participate in meetings and contribute to the consultancy’s thought leadership.
Our team members have access to sensitive, confidential information and are trusted to maintain these files and documents properly.
The position requires sitting and working on a computer for long periods of time as well as occasional lifting and carrying of presentation materials and supplies. Consultants must be able to interact seamlessly with clients through visual, aural, physical and written communications.
Inside average office environment. Average office noise levels. No personal protective equipment required. Currently, working in a virtual environment due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Vice President, Client Service and Innovation
This is a salaried position with a range of $50,000 to $60,000 based on experience and a full benefits package, including a 401K plan and health insurance.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and two relevant writing samples (e.g. stewardship or impact report, donor communications, grant reports, business proposal, etc.) on our website here.