Full time, exempt position | Chicago based preference
Provide strategic advice and counsel to non-profit clients across all Alford Group services, including but not limited to resource development, governance, strategic planning and non-profit management and leadership activities; provide project management leadership and expertise; market and sell consulting services; mentor staff.
Successful project management is critical to producing quality deliverables on time and on budget for our clients. Managing workflow to deadlines is part of every consultant role and especially important in the Senior Consultant role. In this capacity the Senior Consultant will:
- Work closely with project team members and other colleagues to design, plan, coordinate, and contribute to the completion of high-quality client work.
- Maintain day-to-day workflow of project tasks and deliverables in accordance with timelines and competing priorities.
- Prompt action from clients and colleagues on tasks and deliverables to ensure timely completion.
- Proactively communicate progress, or lack thereof, against deadlines.
- Thoughtfully work with colleagues and clients to track deadlines, resolve issues, and address competing demands.
- Prepare materials—such as agendas, Gantt charts, dashboards, and status reports—to support internal team and client team members in advancing progress.
- Coordinate meeting preparation and logistics for internal and external appointments.
- Oversee client team members and/or contractual team members working on aspects of client work, including data gathering, report writing, meeting planning, etc.
Research, Analysis and Presentation
In many instances the Senior Consultant serves as the lead analyst of the primary and secondary research that forms the basis for much of the consultancy’s client work. Depending on the scope of the project, the Senior Consultant can be expected to perform some or all of the following functions:
- Design, refine, and apply a rigorous, analytical, research approach to client situations to identify solutions that are grounded in evidence and experience.
- Develop project timelines, work plans, schedule of deliverable deadlines.
- Serve as the client-facing project manager and/or client team front-line point of contact.
- Conduct thematic and quantitative analyses to draw conclusions from data gathered.
- Conduct interviews and lead roundtables, focus groups, and/or workshops.
- Analyze and synthesize survey data. Design new ways to convey conclusions in creative visual ways and to supplement graphs, charts, and tables.
- Review materials and reports provided by clients and colleagues as relates to fundraising function, strategic plans, governance, etc. and identify weaknesses or inconsistencies with best practices and/or organizational goals.
- Serve as a principal writer of work product including research guides, presentations, work plans, case statements, interim and final reports, etc.
- Design and author high-impact reports and presentations using crisp language and engaging data visualizations.
- Research trends, changes in best practices, products, tools, etc. to inform and improve clients’ work and/or firm methodologies and recommendations.
Sales and Marketing
The Senior Consultant will support the consultancy’s business development and marketing activities, contributing to annual revenue and sales goals and authoring content in areas of expertise. In this capacity the Senior Consultant will:
- Achieve established sales goals, leveraging networking opportunities to surface sales opportunities and accompanying team members on sales calls to close business opportunities.
- Work with the Business Development team to prepare proposals, scopes of work, sales presentations, etc.
- Work with sales leads and the Business Development team to design and price services for prospective clients.
- Represent Alford Group at industry/social sector events and conferences.
- Engage in some speaking/presentations on topics of expertise and create content marketing pieces (authoring blogs, presenting webinars, etc.).
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience and/or CFRE or equivalent (ability to attain within two years from date of employment).
- 10+ years relevant experience in the nonprofit sector including both paid and volunteer, or as a consultant to the nonprofit sector; at least 3+ years managing people and teams.
- Proven ability in:
- Verbal and written communication
- Managing relationships with diverse people – both staff and volunteers
- Managing a variety of projects and assignments to completion
- Interacting with and engaging people toward action
- Effective meeting planning and management for all meetings, including virtual and hybrid meetings
- Demonstrating commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Creative thinking and problem solving
- Addressing challenges
- Working independently
- Continuous learner
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle for travel
- Full COVID-19 vaccination required and all employees of Alford Group must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Background in fundraising, marketing, organizational development and public speaking
- Motivated and energetic individual
- Experience serving on a nonprofit Board of Directors or committee
About Alford Group
Alford Group is a national, full-service consultancy serving nonprofits in nearly every state in the country. Since our founding, we have partnered with over 3,000 nonprofits to accelerate their impact and advance social change. Alford Group expects each employee and associate of the consultancy to reflect and promote our vision, mission and values.
Vision: A world where possibilities are endless and reflect the best of who we are as humans.
Mission: We accelerate the nonprofit community’s impact and advance social change.
• Honest Partnerships
• Equity-Centered Practices
• Continued Learning
• Joyful Connections
All employees are expected to assist in fulfilling our consultancy-wide goals and innovation objectives, participate in meetings and contribute to the consultancy’s thought leadership.
Chief Client Experience Officer
This is a salaried position with a range of $90,000 to $110,000 based on experience and a full benefits package, including a 401K plan and health insurance.
Equity-centered hiring practices:
Alford Group is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace culture that fosters a sense of belonging where you can bring all of your true and best self. We desire candidates who are excited about this role, open to advancing our commitment to partnering with diverse team members and clients, align with the behaviors that elevate our values and seek to grow personally and professionally. Alford Group will not discriminate against team members with respect to any term or condition. If you are looking to be a change maker, then we are eager to talk with you about careers at Alford Group.
Our team members have access to sensitive, confidential information and are trusted to maintain these files and documents properly.
The position requires sitting, writing and working on a computer for long periods of time as well as occasional lifting and carrying of presentation materials and supplies. Consultants must be able to interact seamlessly with clients through visual, aural, physical and written communications.
This position performs in a hybrid-virtual environment.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and two relevant writing samples (e.g. stewardship or impact report, donor communications, grant reports, business proposal, etc.) on our website here.