Full time position | Greater Chicago Region | Currently virtual environment
The Alford Group is an equity-forward national full-service consulting firm that serves nonprofit organizations and institutions in all sectors, including health and human services, education, arts, community foundations, associations and the environment. The firm is headquartered in Chicago with a strong market presence in Seattle, New York, Portland and Charleston, SC. It was founded over 40 years ago on the principle that our human differences make the nonprofit sector stronger. To make the world a better place for ALL people, The Alford Group brings insight, rigor, and innovation to strengthen the social sector and deepen its impact. Our dedicated and experienced professional team delivers customized strategies and guidance to empower organizations to make a difference and change the world.
As a woman and minority-owned and led firm, The Alford Group strengthens the social sector through equity-centered services and practices and values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. Equity, diversity, inclusion, and access at our firm means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected, and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
The Alford Group seeks to hire a resourceful and solutions-oriented Controller to directly assist management to achieve our financial and organizational goals. The Controller will be responsible for the creation and execution of reliable accounting and business practices and procedures. This position supervises the delivery of accurate financial analysis and timely reporting of the firm’s financials. The Controller is responsible for the execution of most Human Resource functions for the firm and directs the work of an outside human resource service, and manages work with legal, accounting and bank advisors. The Controller is a member of and collaborates closely with the management team to make informed and analytic decisions which are key to achieving revenue growth for our firm and to support the missions of our clients. The individual will be based in the Chicago metropolitan region.
Finance and Accounting
- Manage all financial aspects of the firm and provide regular analysis and financial forecasting reports to the Executive team.
- Manage the accounting and project management software system (BQE CORE) and assist others in firm-wide integration and utilization.
- Advise on long-term business and financial planning.
- Supervise the Finance and Business Operations Manager and oversee all daily accounting operations, including accounts payable, invoicing and cash flow.
- Maintain the general ledger, conduct account reconciliations, perform monthly and year-end closing procedures, and prepare monthly and annual financial statements.
- Administer and review payroll, and compute allocation of division and wage categories for financial reporting and analysis.
- Manage banking relationships and recommend strategies to enhance cash positions.
- Oversee contractor services for contract billing and year-end tax filings.
- Coordinate monthly time and billing deadlines and procedures for compilation of timely project management information for staff and for accurate revenue reporting.
- Work with management team in compiling annual budgets and finalizing budget reporting.
- Submit year-end financials and information to outside accounting firm for annual compilation and corporate tax returns.
- File miscellaneous state taxes and licenses.
- Serve as administrator and liaison with Insperity HR and PEO Services to oversee human resource functions including:
- Create employment and contractor letters of agreement.
- Coordinate all payroll and benefit information.
- Manage all aspects of employee health insurance coverage, including cost analysis and implementation of benefit changes.
- Implement wage and employment status changes for payroll and personnel records.
- Establish wage structure for consultant compensation.
- Calculate and distribute annual employee compensation reports.
- Maintain employee resource tools, including policy handbooks, paid time off schedules, and explanation of benefits.
- Manage the 401k plan, serving as liaison with third party administrator and investment advisor. Ensure accurate and timely submissions of payroll contributions, withdrawals, and loans. Compile year-end census and information for 5500 filing.
- Collaborate with the firm’s Technology Contractor regarding the firm’s technology needs.
- Ensure that employees have the proper technology resources, including hardware, software and training.
- Full time, exempt salaried position
- Reports to Chief Business Enterprise Officer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a degree in Business Administration with related accounting work experience.
- Ten or more years of progressive and relevant work experience, preferably with a professional consulting or project management firm, including several years in supervisory capacity.
- Ability to provide analytical oversight, direction and forecasting of finances and budget.
- Professional rapport and collaboration with all staff and outside professional advisors to support the firm’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to organize a large quantity of detail daily to coordinate information into meaningful strategic thinking for ongoing growth and decision making.
- Strong financial and project management skills to meet monthly and annual accounting deadlines with systematic organization.
- Proficiency and self-sufficiency with accounting software packages. Experience with BQE CORE desirable.
- Proficiency and self-sufficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to work and think independently, evaluating and offering fresh thinking and breakthrough ideas where appropriate; ability to be flexible in priority of task fulfillment and delegation.
- Demonstrate creativity in developing graphs and financial reports from accounting software modules.
- Ability to exemplify Alford Group values – Equity, Creativity, Diversity, Excellence, Integrity, Joyfulness, Leadership and Respect.
- CPA license is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with Client Relationship Management (CRM) software.
- Experience in implementing time and billing project management software.
- Flexible to work occasional early mornings, evenings and weekends as required by firm engagements and accounting deadlines.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume using the form below.