Alford Group’s Imperative on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)
Alford Group stands for and acts in support of diversity, equity and inclusion.
We believe that mindsets, behavior and values must shift to make equity a priority and create sustainable change. While diversity offers seats at the table to a broader range of people and ideas, and inclusion ensures that all voices are heard, equity applies a historic lens to assure that everyone is welcomed and receives what they need to thrive. Diversity, equity and inclusion must work in tandem.
Our firm was founded 40 years ago on the principle that our human differences make the nonprofit sector stronger. We uphold this commitment by:
- Focusing on our own organizational culture; ensuring that our staff reflects diversity and inclusion; being adaptive as a learning organization to care, to listen, to learn and to act.
- Challenging our clients to improve their own equity, diversity and inclusion culture and practices to better reflect and deepen impact in the communities they serve.
- Investing in sector-wide programming centered on equity, diversity and inclusion; encouraging the nonprofit sector to make room for and listen to diverse voices to spark innovation; and empowering individuals and organizations to flourish.
Alford Group has taken many deliberate steps to ensure a level playing field for all and bring an equity-forward lens to our work. Yet we are compelled to do better. Today we seize this moment and renew our pledge to be purposeful, even disruptive, and accelerate our journey toward swift and lasting social justice.
Collectively, we have an opportunity to create a better world where possibilities are endless and reflect the best of who we are as humans.
Culture of Equity Assessment – Conducted by Alford Group
Alford Group recently launched a new tool to assist organizations in assessing their own organizational culture of equity. The purpose of the Culture of Equity Self-Assessment is to:
- Help gather baseline data and information in order to self-identify areas for organizational change and improvement.
- Spur dialogue that leads to greater understanding and commitment to address issues of racial equity.
- Facilitate the sharing of information, resources, mutual support and tools.
- Build shared accountability across the organization.
Alford Group will administer the tool, ensuring anonymity, and present the findings to guide you in interpreting the results and developing action steps for your organization. For more information and to take the Culture of Equity Assessment, please contact us at email@example.com.
Alford Group Resource Center on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
As we strive together to make our world a more equitable place for all people, Alford Group values education as an important step in our DEI journey. The following resource hub is a non-exhaustive, ever-evolving compilation of books, articles, videos and more gathered from a variety of sources, including collaboration with colleagues and thought leaders across the philanthropic sector and beyond.
President & CEO Brenda B. Asare is Recognized by Crain’s for Excellence in Business
Brenda B. Asare has been selected as one of Crain’s Chicago 2021 Notable Black Leaders & Executives.
Read the article.
Alford Group’s president and CEO, Brenda B. Asare, was recognized in the Crain’s Chicago Business 2019 Notable Minorities in Accounting, Consulting & Law.
Read the article.
AFP International Equity & Diversity Partner
One of Alford Group’s core values is equity-centered practices. Since 1999, we have been the diversity partner with AFP and the AFP Foundation.
Starting in 2020, we are proud to sponsor the IDEA Impact: Alford Group Mentoring and Leadership Development Program, which was created to provide support and guidance to women in the fundraising profession.
See our latest update on the Women’s Impact Initiative.
Creating a Culture of Equity
Alford Group sponsored the 2020 AFP Diversity Workshop on creating a culture of equity. Watch the webinar recording
Interview with Brenda B. Asare, President and CEO, Alford Group
AFP ICON Summer Sessions Host Kishshana Palmer, CFRE, interviews Brenda B. Asare, President and CEO of Alford Group about the current climate of fundraising and equity and inclusion. Watch the interview