The Alford Group’s Imperative on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)
The Alford Group stands for and acts in support of diversity, equity and inclusion.
We believe that mindsets, behavior and values must shift to make equity a priority and create sustainable change. While diversity offers seats at the table to a broader range of people and ideas, and inclusion ensures that all voices are heard, equity applies a historic lens to assure that everyone is welcomed and receives what they need to thrive. Diversity, equity and inclusion must work in tandem.
Our firm was founded 40 years ago on the principle that our human differences make the nonprofit sector stronger. We uphold this commitment by:
- Focusing on our own organizational culture; ensuring that our staff reflects diversity and inclusion; being adaptive as a learning organization to care, to listen, to learn and to act.
- Challenging our clients to improve their own equity, diversity and inclusion culture and practices to better reflect and deepen impact in the communities they serve.
- Investing in sector-wide programming centered on equity, diversity and inclusion; encouraging the nonprofit sector to make room for and listen to diverse voices to spark innovation; and empowering individuals and organizations to flourish.
The Alford Group has taken many deliberate steps to ensure a level playing field for all and bring an equity-forward lens to our work. Yet we are compelled to do better. Today we seize this moment and renew our pledge to be purposeful, even disruptive, and accelerate our journey toward swift and lasting social justice.
Collectively, we have an opportunity to create a better world where possibilities are endless and reflect the best of who we are as humans.
Culture of Equity Assessment – Conducted by The Alford Group
The Alford Group recently launched a new tool to assist organizations in assessing their own organizational culture of equity. The purpose of the Culture of Equity Self-Assessment is to:
- Help gather baseline data and information in order to self-identify areas for organizational change and improvement.
- Spur dialogue that leads to greater understanding and commitment to address issues of racial equity.
- Facilitate the sharing of information, resources, mutual support and tools.
- Build shared accountability across the organization.
The Alford Group will administer the tool, ensuring anonymity, and present the findings to guide you in interpreting the results and developing action steps for your organization. For more information and to take the Culture of Equity Assessment, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
President & CEO Brenda B. Asare is Recognized as a Notable Minority Business Leader
The Alford Group’s president and CEO, Brenda B. Asare, was recently recognized in the Crain’s Chicago Business 2019 Notable Minorities in Accounting, Consulting & Law.
AFP International Equity & Diversity Partner
Two of The Alford Group’s core values are equity and diversity. Since 1999, we have been the diversity partner with AFP and the AFP Foundation.
Starting in 2020, we are proud to sponsor the IDEA Impact: The Alford Group Mentoring and Leadership Development Program, which was created to provide support and guidance to women in the fundraising profession.
See our latest update on the Women’s Impact Initiative.
Creating a Culture of Equity
The Alford Group sponsored the 2020 AFP Diversity Workshop on creating a culture of equity. Watch the webinar recording
Interview with Brenda B. Asare, President and CEO, The Alford Group
AFP ICON Summer Sessions Host Kishshana Palmer, CFRE, interviews Brenda B. Asare, President and CEO of The Alford Group about the current climate of fundraising and equity and inclusion. Watch the interview