As we strive together to make our world a more equitable place for all people, Alford Group values education as an important step in our DEI journey. The following resource hub is a non-exhaustive, ever-evolving compilation of books, articles, videos and more gathered from a variety of sources, including collaboration with colleagues and thought leaders across the philanthropic sector and beyond.
Overt discrimination, unconscious bias, cruelty and injustice based on race are historic, endemic and intersectional – inclusive of people with multiple identities. Though we embrace the broad range of diversities, Alford Group is focused on constructive leadership and assistance toward achieving racial diversity, equity and inclusion. However, these tools and strategies can be applied to foster equity around other types of diversity, including gender and sexual orientation.
Table of Contents
- Section 1: What Everyone Needs To Know
- Section 2: Common Pitfalls to Avoid
- Being inactive
- Lacking cohesive structure in your plan
- Having a singular view
- Being satisfied with tokenism
- Reacting when issues arise rather than leading with vision
- Section 3: What Keeps You Up at Night?
- “I don’t know where to start”
- “What if I say or do the wrong thing?”
- Embedding DEI into your strategic plan
- Getting your board “on board”
- Engaging donors of color
- DEI in the workplace: For employers
- DEI in the workplace: For employees
- Holding yourself and others accountable
Section 1: What Everyone Needs to Know
Regardless of where you are on your DEI journey, these resources are valuable from the first to the fifteenth time you refer to them. We love these resources because they are engaging and easy to digest. If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed at the breadth of DEI knowledge that’s out there, it’s okay – start here!
The Under Our Skin project – a video series discussing topics around racial equity from the perspective of real people